Position Overview and Impact: Serve as point of contact to ensure that Veterans and Veteran families of every era know how to get connected to the state and federal benefits and services they have earned through military service.
1. "Staff" a Veteran Resource Station in the library for a minimum of one 2-hour shift per week to meet with Veterans and/or family members. Serve as expert listener and initial problem solver.
2. Help each Veteran or Veteran family member complete the myCalVet online form at CalVet. myCalVet enters the individual into CalVet's database and helps identify the benefits and services they need and for which they may be eligible. Once in the system, CalVet or a designated representative, will make contact with the Veteran.
3. Guide the Veteran toward those benefits that are likely to enhance their particular situation and, using the California Veteran's Resource Book, provide contact information for the County Veterans Service Office in their county of residence so they can make an appointment. Also, provide a checklist of the basic documents the Veteran should take to their appointment in order to expedite their access to services.
4. If, during the conversation, additional service needs are identified, provide contact information to other library or community services. If a Veteran is in a crisis, refer to the list of emergency service numbers provided.
5. Maintain data on number of Veterans/family members served, types of questions asked, referrals made, and issues/topic areas needed but not covered in the library's collection.
CalVet Contact: Your main contact for problem solving and questions about Veteran benefits and services will be CalVet: (800)-952-5626
Training and Support Provided: Required training is provided via online training modules available on the Veterans Connect @ the Library Training Page.
Additional training is offered by library supervisor and via webinars or on-ground workshops from CalVet or other Veteran Service Organizations on as needed basis.
Time Commitment: Minimum one 2-hour shift per week.
Length of Commitment: Minimum six-month commitment requested.
©2019-20 Veterans Connect @ the Library. All rights reserved. This project is supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect the position or policy of the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services or the California State Library, and no official endorsement by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services or the California State Library should be inferred.